In Less Than 50 Words
A dynamic, innovative and adaptable digital content and journalism evangelist proficient in writing for the web, SEO, video, social media, broadcast, event planning, curation and aggregation. An enthusiastic agent for and manager of change in this rapidly evolving field.
Digital Content Summary
Key leadership role in the Milwaukee launch of AOL’ s hyperlocal web venture, Patch.com. Highlights included:
- Helped direct staff of 15 Local Editors in building traffic from zero in December 2010 to more than 400,000 monthly unique visitors by July 2013. All ambitious company goals for Milwaukee were met in 2012. Keys to this effort were: using data to drive editorial decisions; development of best practices in SEO, aggregation and web headline writing; a consistent social media campaign; and aggressive grass-roots marketing.
- Developed Ustream webcast of a 2012 high school football playoff game. Paid for the rights, hired a videographer, oversaw the technical aspects and performed play-by-play. The broadcast generated more than 2,700 page views with viewers Tweeting in from Calgary and Charlotte.
- Teamed up on a CoveritLive blog of 2011 Wisconsin Senate recall elections that collected more than 45,000 unique visitors. My roles included posting to the blog with the iPhone app from certain polling locations during the day, then taking a turn moderating the blog as results came in.
- Generated tens of thousands of page views each month with “OMG PD,” an aggregated roundup of weird crime news, making it Milwaukee Patch’s most successful regular feature. This was achieved with good headlines, brevity, a consistent publishing time and consistent newsletter placement.
Guided Milwaukee Wave Professional Indoor Soccer into the new media age by:
- Integrating video into milwaukeewave.com and launching YouTube channel. Edited and uploaded more than 130 videos with more than 284,000 views over three years.
- Launching Facebook fan page, Twitter account, WordPress blog and Linked In group in a comprehensive social media effort.
- Directing makeover of milwaukeewave.com for 2009-10 season, with cooperation of Infinity Pro Sports.
- Coordinating leaguewide webcasting in the 2008-09 Xtreme Soccer League season, negotiating and executing pact with B2 Networks.
Generated thousands of dollars in extra revenue for Ozaukee County News Graphic by conceiving plan to post archived digital newspaper photos online — including many not appearing in print — for reprint sales.
Led News Graphic into video storytelling via web. Worked with company’s technical director on hardware and software issues, filmed and edited first videos, trained other staff on the process.
Community Building Summary
- Ran a series of debate-viewing parties for Patch prior to the 2012 presidential election. Negotiated for and secured the venue at the Rosebud Theater in Wauwatosa, publicized the three events which attracted more than 100 people, generated publicity for Patch in other media outlets that included a television network in Denmark and local news, and moderated discussion following the debates.
- Organized and conducted social media sessions for SMBs, providing strategies for increasing their online footprint via Facebook, Twitter and business profile sites.
- Developed and maintained strong relationships with sports, news and entertainment media throughout southeastern Wisconsin to secure player and coach appearances and story placement for the Milwaukee Wave. Organized and led press conferences and media day events for the retirement of Wave legend Michael King, Wave ownership changes, the Xtreme Soccer League launch and the 2008 and 2010 MISL Championship Games.
- Created Milwaukee Wave’s “Community Now Senior Soccer All-Stars” game in association with Community Now newspapers (2008-09 and 2009-10 seasons). Relationship included extended editorial and advertising support within Community Now newspapers and tape-delayed game broadcasts on Time Warner Sports 32 and Wisconsin On Demand.
- Conceived and executed the “Beach Soccer Xperience,” a two-game beach soccer exhibition series between the Milwaukee Wave and Chicago Storm in June 2009. The Milwaukee game was produced by Time Warner Sports 32, generated news and TV coverage and cost less than $1,500. Games in Milwaukee and Racine are scheduled for 2010.
- Two-time winner of the C.W. Brown Award for Editorial Writing from the Wisconsin Newspaper Association (2003, 2006).
- Won first place in Wisconsin Newspaper Association Better Newspaper Contest for sports columns (2000).
- Two-time runner-up in Hoosier State Press Association contest for sports column writing (1997, 1998).
- Color analyst for live and tape-delayed NCAA Division I soccer broadcasts on Time Warner Sports 32. Play-by-play announcer and color analyst for Horizon League Network soccer broadcasts at UW-Milwaukee.
- Executive Producer for Milwaukee Wave broadcasts on Time Warner Sports 32 and online via B2 Networks, as well as 2010 MISL Championship Game on Fox Sports Wisconsin.
- Coordinating Producer and Co-Host for “Soccer Saturday presented by the Milwaukee Wave” on 540 ESPN, March-July 2010. The weekly one-hour radio show is devoted to all levels of soccer, with a Wisconsin perspective.
- Halftime interviewer for Milwaukee Wave broadcasts on Time Warner Sports 32 and online via B2 Networks during 2008-09 season.
- Thirteen years of management experience, leading teams of between three and eight members.
- Served temporary assignment for U.S. Soccer Federation as U.S. futsal team press officer at CONCACAF Championships in Guatemala City, Guatemala (May-June 2008). Wrote all press releases, started a YouTube.com channel and helped U.S. player Denison Cabral start a futsal blog. Also “won” a bronze medal.
- Researched, wrote and published my own non-fiction book, “Semi-Football: Love Stories of the National Amateur Football League,” which chronicled Indiana’s best semi-pro football organization. ISBN 0-9654453-0-5.
- Completed ComedySportz 101 improv workshop and Wisconsin Youth Soccer Association “E” coaching license.
- Youth soccer coach and board member at North Shore United, Cedarburg, WI
- Cedarburg Little League coach
- FOCCUS Facilitator, St. Joseph’s Church, Grafton, WI
- Associate Regional Editor, AOL Patch.com, December 2010-August 2013
- Vice President of Communications, Milwaukee Wave Professional Indoor Soccer – January 2007-July 2010
- Director of Media Relations, Xtreme Soccer League, September 2008-June 2009
- Director of Media Relations, Chicago Storm, February-June 2009
- Managing Editor, News Graphic, Cedarburg, WI – December 2001-January 2007
- Sports Editor, News Graphic, Cedarburg, WI – September 2000-December 2001
- Freelance Journalist, Cedarburg, WI – July 1999-September 2000
- Advertising Sales Representative, Daily Reporter, Greenfield, IN — November 1994-November 1996
- Sports Writer, Chronicle-Tribune, Marion, IN — March 1992-November 1994
- Sports Editor, Plain Dealer, Wabash, IN — January 1991-March 1992
- Bachelor of Science, Journalism-News Editorial sequence, Ball State University, Muncie, IN – December 1990
- Member Alpha Lambda Delta (freshman honorary, Indiana State University) and Kappa Tau Alpha (journalism honorary, Ball State University)